Friday 13 December 2013

Exploring a Feature Article

Following analysis of a feature article from Kerrang, I recognise the key conventions to be -
Side bar
Pull quote – interesting and dramatic
Subheadings
Layout – Columns – conventional?
Body text
Images – key image, m-e-s reflects journalistic slant of article
                - additional smaller image
Intertextual references – refer to other bands or musicians to connect audience
Stand first – opening sentence that summaries content
Headline – catchy / wordplay
Captions to anchor image
Often jumps back to journalistic pros- though still embedded quotes – present tense?

I then mocked up my own title for the same article:
'MCCRACKEN MAKES MAD MUSIC' - With the extensive alliteration creating connotations of insanity and also being catchy and rhythmic to read. 

I then created my own stand first to go with it:

'Insane new album ‘Lies for the Liars’ by The Used injected with honesty, exclusive interview below.'
- I carried on with the semantic field of insanity by actually using the word and introducing a paradox, with honest lies. 


I then used these skills to analyse a two page feature article, shown below:


Final learning point: I should include a range of the key conventions stated above to create a convincing and intriguing feature article which could slot easily into the Kerrang music genre of rock punk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment